re: talking car +R&T 164 bit

frank writes:

>For the past few months my rear end has been making an increasingly
>irritating noise.  It only occurs when I am making a turn.  The best way
>I can describe it is a wallowing sound.  Sort of a Wurh-Warh Wurh-Warh
>Wurh-Warh.

My immediate suggestion is to change your diet and ask your passengers to be
understanding until you diagnose the problem. A few other guesses would
center around bushings. Check the trailing arm bushing for play as well as
the trunion one in the center. Also a possible culprit is a wheel bearing,
but you did not say whether the noise was more pronounced when turning left,
right, or both.

Your other higher pitched noise is probably just a fan belt. Adjust tension,
or switch to an electric fan for more reliability and performance (unless
you have AC, and then it is harder to find a fan that fits).
The only other screeching noise like that usually comes from power steering,
but you do not have it in the spider.

thx
luke, San Mateo, CA US

PS. Did anybody spot the tech tidbits letter about a 164 in the latest Road
and Track? the dude wants a supercharger for his 164 and wants bigger cross
drilled rotors...?/??!! He was directed to the Alfa Performance Connection
in Laguna hills (anybody know them?) to get the thing chipped and install S
cams.
Hmmm...I am happy with mine the way it is, but it is the 24V.

74 Spider, 82 GTV6 (trouble getting it smogged), 95 164LS, 98 A6 Q (wife
happy)