Milano hood (bonnet) release lever

It appears I have broken something responsible for opening the hood of
my Milano.  Now I pull at the lever inside the car and nothing happens.
Any idea how else I can open my hood?

It seams like everytime I am a hair away from getting the car ready for
safety inspection something new happens to prevent it.  Consequently
I've been driving around for over a month with a windscreen sticker that
screams "REJECTED".  And it's not cute anymore.

- -Frank