Wheel arch resto

This past weekend I started work on repairing the rusty wheel
arches on the Milano. So far, I MIG welded two patch panels
into place. Here's the question--what do I do about the sheet
metal directly underneath the patch panel? Much of this metal
was rusty, so I cut it away.

I'm basically looking for a way to "seal" this area and prevent
road debris, etc. from being thrown up into the confined areas
and causing future rust damage.

I thought about riveting in overlapping strips of galvanized
steel to "seal" the holes and then painting it with undercoating.
Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Rich Hirsch
'87 Milano  <- Not a show car!