milano power steering questions

And here they are. On some web sites early milanos were known to have leaky
pumps. What changed that the late ones didn't have the same reputation.
Mine leaks like a sieve, I have to top it twice during a tank of gas. I
want to know what the best option is, rebuild mine, buy a new one or get a
late model one off of APE.
The factory recommends using ATF as power steering oil anybody know why?
Anybody using ATF or just me and my leaky pump? Is this pump
interchangeable with anyother car/model that might be easier to find?
I looked in the Centerline book to price a new one and I figure by the time
it gets here with exchange and shipping it will be a thousand bucks. That's
alot for a stupid p/s pump. Good thing the abs works well, for now. I think
the car is a blast and love it dearly, I just want it to stop leaking.

Carson Damm
Ft. McMurray, Alberta
Canada

1970 1750 GT Veloce