6C 3000 CM and 6C1500 TF

 In AD7- 455 Bob Brady asks about two of the cars at the DVAROC picnic, a 6C
3000 CM and a 6C 1500 Testa Fissa, which means Henry Wessels III was there. Of
the 3000, Bob writes "In the past, I thought I peered under the 6C3000CM to
find a de Dion rear with inboard drum brakes.  I tried to confirm this with my
inadequate Alfa library, but could not.  I know it has inboard drums, but
don't know for sure if the rear is a de Dion.  Can anyone (John?) shed some
light on this?"

No Fusi? "sospensione: poster. tipo De Dion, molle elicoidali e puntoni
convergenti" on p.489, plus great chassis drawings on p.492. The Sportiva rear
suspension, essentially the same, is pictured on p.506. The GTV-6/Milano
descends from this, but is aesthetically inferior with those grungy disks. The
160 prototype shared this, as did the Pegaso, only reversed, as it was on the
Alfa 162 and 163 prototypes; Ricart was the moving force behind the triangle
on both makes.

Also, "Also, I believe the 6C1500 is a testa fissa.... which I think means the
head is cast as an integral part of the block.... correct?" Correct for THAT
1500 and five others, plus six 1750s, all factory Mille Miglia cars, but all
other 1500 and 1750 cars had conventional separate heads. The Monza also had
separate heads, but the P2, P3, 2900, etc up through the 159 had fixed heads.

Fixed heads go back a long way; I believe the first Alfa with a removable head
was the RL of 1922.

Bob refers to the 6C 3000 CM as a Disco Volante; this is a commonly made
connection, but to my mind does a serious disservice to the 6C 3000 CM.
Comparatively speaking, the Disco Volante (1900 C 52) was an ill-conceived,
poorly structured, aerodynamically incorrect and technically conventional car
which was a PR success but accomplished nothing in competition. The 6C 3000 CM
was a great leap forward, with a lovely (and rational) backbone spaceframe,
the magnificent rear end in place of the Disco's standard axle, scrumptious
four-leading-shoe (2+2, side by side) front brakes, and a brief but remarkable
competition record. Any car (and driver) which can finish a close second
behind a Ferrari in the Mille Miglia steering with one wheel because of a
damaged steering gear has to be one of Alfa's all-time high points.

John H.
Raleigh N.C.

End of alfa-digest V7 #456