re: 164 driver's door that wouldn't unlock

Nothing like a cold winter to bring out the maladies of a car.  I just
finished going through this on my 164B's passenger side door.  The lock
got stuck right after I ran the car through an automatic car wash.  It
finally warmed up enough to un-jam the mechanism and once freed, I
soaked every part of the locking mechanism I could find with WD-40.
Based on your note, I will now go and do same to other three doors.

Carl P.
'91 164B

Steve wrote:
> Thanks to the 4 or 5 people that replied to my posting barely 24 hours
> ago. My '91 164 drivers door was locked and would not unlock. I got it
> unlocked after about 25 minutes of experimenting. Kind of combining the
> imputs from several of the replies I did the following:
>
> - - Oiled the latch mechanism with WD-40, using a screw driver to hold the
> rubber seal between the doors out of the way.
> - - Banged on the lower door (plastic) with my knee to wiggle things up.
> - - Used the key to lock/unlock in combination with pulling/pushing on the
> lock knob.
>
> After about 20 seconds of working the key and knob combination, the knob
> finally came up all the way. Whew! That would have been quite a project
> if that didn't work. One person said that keeping oil on the latch
> mechanism (of any door) kept the problem away, especially during the wet
> season. Another person thought that at about 92 Alfa came out with a
> revised lock mechanism.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Steve
> '91 164B