where the h*** indeed

In v07.n450 Scott asks about the missing cupholder ...
oh no, not again ...

I didn't comment the last time this thread was active.  My take on where
the h*** the cupholder is: it's in some other car.

Think about the milano/75/161.24 ... corners at up to 0.91 g, brakes at
over 1g.  There's not a cupholder ... or cup ... anywhere which is up to
that.

I used to drive the berlina gently so's to not spill the coffee.  Neat.
But this was also my motorsports car.  As I worked on threshhold braking
down at the track it came to me that I was unlearning my street driving
braking techniques.  After that, I absolutely did not want to train some
sort of coffee cup braking reflex by constant repetition in my street
driving.

I've been told that analysis of autombile collisions shows that the
average braking effectiveness achieved by drivers of the soon to collide
cars ... compared to what was possible for that car ... is only about
50%.  What role the coffee cup reflex plays in this is just speculation,
but at 50% there's plenty of room for improvement.

just an opinion

mark m thornton
seattle washington usa