2 months worth misc. rambling

  I moved recently and I've been off the digest for 2 months.  What
did I miss?  =)
  I got a bunch of questions, some of which have may have been already
asked by Terry Akins, who I've been using as a go-between to get info
off the digest for me.

Restoration of faith -- My general impression of Alfa owners in the
local area has been that the majority have nice cars that sit in their
garages, only to come out once or twice a year for a show.  As I
mentioned, I recently moved, and I find myself off the beaten path in
a little side street, off the main road.  The kind of place most
people drive by and never notice.  Imagine my suprise to find a '67
Duetto down the street from me.  I talked to the owner who is a kid in
his mid 20's.  He loves the car, drove to Ohio to get it, and until he
moved in mid January was driving it every single day.  Rain and snow
be damed.
  Then, a week or so later I'm driving around the Capital Beltway and
find a guy in the cleanest Spider I've seen, sitting under an overpass
in a driving rain storm with the hood up.  I stopped, we played with
the car and found the plug wire at the coil was split and sparking, so
I drove him to his mechanic.  We picked up some black tape, went back
and wrapped the wire and he got going again.  We talked for a while
and he told me it was his wife's car, but he likes to drive it
whenever he can.  He is originally from Italy and told me he owns 13
apartments in Naples that he rents out during the summer.  He was so
grateful that someone stopped that he told me "If you and your wife
are ever in Italy, you call me.  You can stay as my guest." (anybody
want to get married and go to Italy?)
  So, with faith in the "average" Alfa owner restored, I guess I owe
an apology for my general condemnation of the majority of the group.

Milano keys and locks -- I recently got an '87 Milano silver for
parts, which is a shame really because it runs great.  However the
quarters are filled with bondo and the car itself is 3 different
shades of spray can red, among other problems.  I feel sorry for the
previous owner, since they appearantly got the full "Alfa ownership
experience"...new heads and gaskets, brakes, motor mounts, plus who
knows what else.  They only put 4000 miles on it and got rid of it
when it died.  Only had a bad coil.  Anyway, my Verde has one large
key that works the doors and ignition and a small key marked 'sipea'
that locks the gas cap.  My parts car has only one small key that fits
the doors and ignition.  Did the base model use different lock
cylinders for some reason?  Can the one for the ignition be swapped
directly?  I have a Spider that uses one small key for everything and
if I can swap the ignition from the Silver to the Verde, and re-key
some locks, I can have one key that fits all the locks in both cars.

Spider or Milano...which to build first -- What a dilemma to have.  I
recently got an '86 Quad.  Either it or the Milano is going to be the
recipient of some go-fast stuff but I haven't decided which yet.  In
the meantime, who are the performance people?  I'm familiar with IAP
since their only a couple hours from my house, but I think there
selection of non-stock performance stuff is limited.  Then there's AR
Ricambi, but Terry ordered a catalog from them months ago which never
arrived....doesn't instill confidence, seeing as how they managed to
cash the check.  Also, I recently saw an ad for Orion, somewhere out
in Cow-pie USA, and called to get their catalog.  Next time I need a
$6000 transmission I'll be sure to call them.  And then there's
Sperry, but that's the extent of my knowledge on where to find
'stuff'.  Who else should I check out?

Zender kit for Milano -- I found an IAP catalog from '91 and they show
a really nice body kit for the Milano.  I called them just for the
heck of it, expecting "no" and got what I expected.  The kit consists
of a front spoiler, side skirts, and a nice rear valance that looks
very similar to the rear valance on a 944 turbo.  I saw the recent
post about these coming stock on the 75 in England (?) but didn't see
any source for finding one, assuming they still exist.  I'll have to
re-read the post to make sure.  In the meantime, anyone know if
they're still available?  I'm searching some suppliers on the web but
have found nothing yet.  Second best option...anybody got a kit, or
pieces, they want to part with?  This may be the excuse I need to go
to Italy, since I've now got a place to stay.

Thanks all...
Bryan Carter
No. Va.