towing with a milano

In AD7-442 Joe McLeod asked if "anyone have any suggestions or experience
towing with a milano... i will be installing a factory hitch this weekend to
tow my small laser sailboat (under 300lbs w/trailer)."

I will take the liberty of speaking for Fred D. since he is still having
computer problems as of last night-  Just do it. Fred pulled U-Hauls galore,
and regularly flat-towed his Junior Zagato (950 kg) until it blind-sided him
by losing a tread on a front tire, locking the wheel and taking over
directional control (missing a bridge abutment but not the ditch or the Armco)
at his customary modest speed (probably under a hundred) on the New York
Throughway, with consequent damage to both cars but not, happily, to
occupants.

Most of my towing experience was with heavier loads on lighter Alfas. Last
time the general subject of using Alfas as tow-cars came up Don Black, who
used to tow his airplane (a Bolkow-Messerschmitt 208) behind a Colli Giulia
Promiscua, wrote "why not? its a car isnt it?  Of course the wings were
removed, we merely attached the tailskid to the Colli rear bumper using a huge
Heim joint.  max speed was only 60 mph due to the 5 inch wheelz. dir
indicators, stop, and brake lights were attached to the horizontal propeller.
no license plate was required.  tollkeepers usually forgot the tolls".

Alfas are great tow-cars. The limiting factors (apart from legal restrictions)
are the wheelbase/rear overhang ratio (bobtails are better) and rear structure
(sedans best, coupes and flattail spiders second, roundtails least great).
The Milano hitch is a sound design. "Under 300lbs w/trailer"? Sheesh.

Cordially,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.