Brake fading

Several years ago I chased a brake fading problem that took a very long
time for me to figure out.  And as it turned out the problem was not in the
brakes at all.  It was due to a problem some people call pad knockback.  If
you notice you have to pump the brakes always after turning and seldomly in
a straight line then I would consider this as a possibility.  Due the
nature of the basic design of the rear axle and being equipted with rear
disc brakes the rotors are mounted on the the axle shafts which turn inside
the axle tubes.  When the wheel bearings in the axle fail it allows
movement of the shafts from left to right which then in turn, by way of the
rotors, push the brake caliper pistons further into the calipers.  Then the
next time you apply the brakes the first push of the pedal only serves to
take up the slack between the pads and the brake disc.  Then on your next
push of the pedal you have good brakes restored.  Once the bearings are
replaced your brakes will work great!

Thanks,
MBrann