re: Subject: Milano brakes & Sport Springs

hi chip, you said (among other things):
>I'm also interested in buying some Sport springs for my Milano. AR
>Ricambi has Sport springs (33% stiffer.. 2.3. in lower) and Super Sport
>springs (53% stiffer...9 in lower) Is 53% too stiff for road use, is it
>going to make the ride really uncomfortable? I'd go with the 33%
>stiffer, but don't want to lower my car 2.3 in! And how do I lower the
>torsion bars once the springs are installed? Some one on the digest
>mentioned SPARCO springs being better than Ricambis, but he never gave
>me contact info. Anyone? Info? Recommendation? Anything?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
according to my '91-'92 a/r catalog, the sport spring #al4710's are 2.3" lower
than the '87 milanos, only 1.3" lower than the '88 and later models.  the
super-sport springs would actually raise your '89 milano 0.10" from stock.

lowering the front of the car involves pulling out the torsion bars, and
rotating them (counting the teeth on the bars)  don't try this yourself, unless
you have all the correct data awailable re: spacing, etc.  if you lower the
front of the car, you will also have to re-align the car, and especially,
readjust the camber, which will go way negative.  you can adjust this by either
grinding the lower a-arm at the shim-adjustment point, or by buying tom zat's
eccentric upper control arm bushings, which effectively lengthen the upper
control arms.  my gtwe6 has these bushings - one of 'em is about shot at 40k
miles.

hope this is of some use,

doug s