Re: CarDisk continued

Just adding to Will Owen's well chosen words, the Adobe Acrobat format
is also compatible with Unix, for all us true geeks. ;=) Another nice
thing about PDF is that if documents are converted from wordprocessing
SW, or scanned with OCR, all the text is searchable. Unfortunately, if
all you do is convert the raster files to pages in PDF, this will not
be so. More incentive for somebody to re-do the whole project?

As for renaming a bunch of files, the Perl scripting language would make
this pretty easy. It is available (and free) for 32-bit Windows machines,
but I don't know if there's a MAC port. Source code is also free. I could
write such a script, if anyone's *really* interested. I think buying the
Cardisk for yourself and running a converter on it to use on your system
would not violate the copyright.

Simon Favre,
Unix geek till Chairman Bill has us all lined up and shot...