[no subject]

Under normal conditions, the ECU will activate the timing variator the moment you open the throttle wide. This help the engine to rev-up
faster. You can check that the ECU is sending 12 V to the variator's solenoid by connecting a voltmeter to the terminals of the variator.
If you don't have one, then a 12v bulb will do just fine.

On my car, I have wire a small indicator lamp to the variator and placed it on the dash. It keeps me informed of the cam timing and also
never fails to entertain my passengers.

Good luck.

Peter Chan
Singapore