Vintage Car Rally

Chris Jacobs,

You might be referring to the California Mille which is a high-class event run
more like a tour than a rally.  The entrants have high dollar cars like
Bugatti's, SSKs, and the ilk.  They smoke Havanas and hold their wine glasses
by the stem.  Elegance abounds.  I wish I could go...

There is, North of the Redwoods, a vast and tractless wasteland, referred to
with a wave of the hand as The Northwest.  Hard up against a hostile
coastline, west of the Cascades, hunkered down in the rain you will find
portions of Oregon and Washington.  The reclusive residents of these states
spend a good portion of their lives removed from the nurturing rays of the
sun, but once every year the clouds dissipate, the puddles evaporate and old
cars come to life.

And it is there, that a hard-core group of Alfisti stage an annual rally.  Any
aspirations of Social Recognition seem to die beyond an insistence of the
French spelling, "Rallye."  This is an event for the unwashed masses.  Not
that they don't have standards.  I have heard, for instance, that "The
Committee" distains even partial nudity at the check points.  But I will say
that Bugeye Sprites are welcome.  There have even been Swedish [!] cars
allowed to participate.

It has become something of an annual event over the last ten or eleven years
for 90 or so teams to chase each other around sections of this Northwest
Territory for a long weekend in August.  Detailed instructions and an anal
insistence upon Time, Speed, and Distance do not detract from the inherent joy
of participation.  While the organizers would prefer to be unknown, it is
occasionally possible for the careful detective to sleuth out the facts.

Call Mark Carpenter @ 503 639 6724 or Jim Gunther @ 503 698 8090 for details.