Re: 76 Spider HP

Hello All!

To add to the thread on 75-79 Spica injected Alfa's I have a few pieces of
information and some comments.

In 75 Alfa made major smog related changes to all 49 state engines that
resulted in poor performance.  Among them:

1.  Air pump added along with very heavy bracket on the front of the engine.
2.  New very restrictive exhaust manifold.
3.  Retimed the cams.  NOTE:  these cams are the same as the earlier cams just
timed to different marks on the bearing caps.
4.  New 3 dimentional  fuel cam for the spica.  Also a removal of the
adjustable lever attached to the barometric presure compensator.
5.   Retarded ignition timing???? not sure

This specification was essentially unchanged in the 49 state models through
77.

In 78 a cataytic converter (49 state models only, CA had the cat. earlier) was
added and some improvements in performance were made by changes in cam and
ignition timing (along with the Spica fuel cam???).

My personal experience is that the 75-77 cars are really poor in terms of
performance.  Fortunately, it is quite easy to "wake these cars up" and by
backdating the specs to 72-74 and making a few adjustments.

Here in IL ,  I was able to perform all of these modifications and still pass
emissions with flying colors.

1.  Remove the air pump and bracket.  Keep it however, you may need it later.
2.  Replace the manifold and exhaust with a stock 74 unit (or ANSA if you
prefer).  This is very important with 2 liters. They seem very sensistive to
exhaust back pressure.
3.  Re-time the cams to 74 specs.
4.  Re-set your spica to stock specs.
5.  Advance static iginition timing to 74 specs (allways run premium 93 octane
fuel)

With these simple changes your car will be transformed!  I doubt you will feel
the need for further (expensive) modifications.  If you still need more try
stage II:

1.  Back date to a single point distributor and make sure it meets the 74
specs on the advance curve. or experiment with a crane or RML ignition.

2.  Back date the spica fuel cam to pre 75 specs.

3.  Choose a set of perfomance cams.

If you still need more try stage III.

1. Rebuild your engine carefully.

2.  Add high compression pistons

3.  Have your machine shop balance the connecting rods and pistons.

4.  Have your machine shop (sperry is a good choice) build you a high-
performance head (let the $$$ budget determine the limit).

5.  Have a custom 2.5 inch exhaust built with smooth bends and high flow
muflers.

6.  Have Wes Ingram build you a high performance spica pump.

7.  Tune carefully.

With the exception of #6 (no $$$ left), I have a 77 Alfetta set-up this way.
All I can say is WOW!  This car makes great power from 3000 to 7000 and is as
smooth as a 1750. I estimate the power at @140 to 150.  A very nice street
set-up.

Note:  A proper exhuast is very important.  When I first installed my "hot"
engine the car ran nicely and was very smooth but did'nt really make much more
power than before the rebuild.  So I went to my local custom exhaust shop and
had them cut off the original (old) system and make up a very simple system
with 2.5 inch pipe and a walker turbo mufler.  To avoid multible bends in the
system I had the mufler shop make one gradual bend exiting   just before the
right rear tire (It also stopped the exhaust fumes from entering the car via
the bad seal in the rear hatch. Total Cost: $65).  The car became way too loud
but ran like a scalded cat!!  A bit more experimenation with the Spica and
ignition yielded even more performance. ( This car was basically a $1000
beater so I really did'nt care about the noise/music.  In fact, I am imature
enough to enjoy setting off car alarms all over the Chicago metro area.).  I'm
sure a more elegant exhuast solution can be pruchased or created for a nicer
car.

Even after all of these mods., the car still passes smog!  About two years ago
the car got too rusty  to continue driving.  I still have the parts to put
into my latest 76 Alfetta project car.

Great thread!  Any other comments?

David Alexander
Riverside, IL

76 Alfetta GT (track car in progess, need $$)
64 Ferrari 330GT (ForSale to provide the $$)
87 BMW 535i 5 speed (Fun daily driver)
87 Saab 900 SPG (wife's driver--funky fun)
86 Ducati