Alfetta Blower Switch problem

I have a question regarding the green 3 pos. (off, hi, lo) rocker blower
control switch on my '79 Alfetta Sprint Veloce.  For some time now I have only
been able to get the high speed function from the fan.  I know that there is a
resistor, that often goes bad, to provide the low speed function.  I would
like to replace the fixed resistor with a variable resistor/rheostat to have
some control over the low speed.  Now the problem.  According to my Haynes
manual, it shows a rotary switch for the 79 SV and SC with H,M,L speeds.  Even
the picture shows what appears to be my little green switch, but it does not
seem to jive with the schematic.  Was the Euro switch different? Again,
according to Haynes there is are a yellow/black, violet, and yellow wire going
from the blower switch multi connector to that resistor.  I don't have a clue
where that resistor is physically located.  The yellow/black seems to
illuminate the blower on light on the center pod.  This leaves the yellow and
the violet.  Do I insert the variable resistor between these two wires?  Or am
I missing something?  Also, is there a way to rewire the switch so that it
turns off when the ignition is turned off?  Wiring straight to continuous
power really seems silly.  Advice, schematics, instructions warmly accepted.

Jerry in Houston