Alfa 164 symptoms

Thanks to all who responded to my email re my 164.
I agree that I should (groan) find the cash and replace that damn
expensive distrubitor cap!
I have replaced the fuel filter a while ago and this did have a big
effect on performance, much more tha I expected. I have just put some
octane booster in the tank as Australia has pretty low octane unleaded
and it seems to have made a big difference. The car has stopped its
slight pinging when changing to third and has gained power across the
range. The surging problem is only very slight. My next step will be to
check fuel pressure (I have replaced the short fuel hose in the tank
previously as a precaution)
Regarding the automatic gearbox symptoms I posted, the main reason I was
worried was I read an old posting stating that there was a problem with
the roll pin shearing off the spider gears ultimately resulting in a lock
up of the gearbox! Has anyone had this problem and what were the exact
symptoms? Is it easy to locate and fix with the gearbox in the car?
My new problem to ask about is regarding the Climate Control. Soon after
I bought the car the  air cooling (compressor)  suddenly stopped working
i.e everthing was normal except it wouldn't cool or defrost. I checked
obvious things and returned it to the seller for repair as it was under
warranty. He claimed he cleaned a temp sensor to fix it (strange as it
didn't make any diff what temp I set it on). Now Whenever I set it on
Auto the compressor always seems to be on. The fan adjusts itself with
temp but it always seems to be cooling the air. This results in it
getting too cold even when set on 25C on a 25C day, and the system
freezes up. Is this normal? Should the air compressor cycle on and off
with temp? or does it remain on all the time regardless of temp in Auto
mode?

Thanks in advance
Anthony Toy
Sydney Australia