Crazy gauges in '84 Spider

Help!  I bought this car in September and continue to work out the
challenges created by one some PO. {:-P

When I first start the engine, no oil pressure gauge or gas gauge
response.  The temperature gauge reads an erronouns temp (maybe 120 or
so).  After I let it idle a few minutes, nothing changes.  Then, if I
goose it a few times, wa-la, I get readings on all three gauges (appear
to be in the expected ranges), but then the alternator light comes on
dim and stays on.  Sometimes the gauges all revert back to initial
settings.

I haven't got clue what that's all about.  I have the dash out
(replacing it with one that was not butchered by PO).  I have the
workshop manual that covers this year Spider but the wiring diagrams
just are not as clear as the information I have on the 69 Spider.  One
thing I would like to confirm is the wire color connetions in the gauges
wiring harness.  Got to think they are connected OK cause when they work
the readings seem logical.

Anybody been here, did this?

Paul Weimer, Ohio
'69 Spider Roundtail