Re: What Transaxle do I Have?

From: "doug h." <dsholt@domain.elided>

>> .. telling apart LSD from non-LSD

>I've been told the way it works on Porsches is to jack up the
>rear of the car and turn one wheel in the forward direction.
>If the other wheel turns in the same direction, then you have
>a limited slip.  If it turns in the opposite direction, then
>you don't.

I don't know about P-cars, and I'm not really sure if this applies to the
Alfa transaxles, but for the 105/115 LSD, this won't work. As long as the
torque on both wheels is the same (such as when both wheels are spinning
freely in the air) the the unit acts like a normal diff and the wheels will
spin in opposite directions. I found this out the direct way early on when
I was trying to spin down lug nuts on a rear wheel by holding the wrench
still and spinning the wheel. With both wheels off the floor, the one on the
other side spun the opposite direction. With only one wheel off the floor,
the wheel tightend up as I spun it to the point where I could no longer turn
it by hand. This both confused and worried me (it had always worked on my
Sprite!) until I had one of those slap-the-forehead sort of epiphanies and
realized it was the LSD.

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |    "What luck for leaders that men          |
| Livermore, CA		      |    do not think.  The winner is never       |
| jack@domain.elided   |    asked if he lied." - Adolph Hitler       |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |