re: Milano PS and Emissions ??'s

jason, you ask:
>1) Would an emissions test be a good indicator of a motor's health?  I
>know that Alfa's usually burn very clean to start with, but I'm
>wondering if the tests would pick up on a little oil burning (rings and
>valve seals)
>
>2) Would Power steering sealant have a negative effects on a power
>steering rack?  The owner used some sealant to plug up some leaks in the
>Power steering pump.  (Leaks that caused the fluid to run low for a
>bit)   The owner indicated that he has but 5,000 miles or so on it since
>using the sealant with no ill effects.
=======================================
unless the engine is in REALLY bad shape, i don't think an emissions test will
tell you any bad gnus.  and if the engine IS in bad shape, you won't need the
test to see the smoke, drips, etc.  my werde has had no guide/seal work, etc
done in its 126k miles, and it yust recently passed emissions at about 5% of the
allowable figures.  it DOES blow a little smoke that i see in the rear-view at
6k rpm's, tho!  :>)  i haven't czeched, but i think i'm adding about a quart of
5w50 synth every +/-1k miles or so.

as far as adding power steering sealant, my experience is: this yust delays the
inevitable - i got about 10k outta the steering rack before it went away, after
adding p/s sealant to stop a leak.  i never bothered to try & determine the
leak's origin - yust dumped the stop-leak in and drove the car.  no other leaks
in the system since gnu rack (gnu rack ?!?) installation.

ciao for now,

dug seed in