164 Driver's door won't unlock

I can't get my '91 164B driver's door unlocked. Has any body been in
this situation? Can I get to the mechanism while the door is shut? I've
tried using a key and disconnected the battery (so the automatic locks
stop). The lock button does'nt seem to want to pull up.

I had locked the automatic door locks while driving in town. When I got
to the car wash the attendant started to try to open the door while I
was preparing to get out of the car myself. he couldn't open the door.
Of course that only made him yank harder on the door handle and once he
saw that the door was lock to pull up on the lock button. I then got
into the situation and tryed my hand at it. I finally said to the
attendant that it was not a good day to have my car wash and left.

I felt so stupid. I had almost turned around on the way to the car-wash
because I did'nt think having regular service people handle an Italian
car a good idea. I've had service stations reefing with all their weight
on Lancia Beta aluminum wheel lugs and jacking up a Lancia Scorpion
where the plastic air scoops go under the car.

Steve
'91 164B