164 ext temp light access?

The backlighting for the external temp. readout is dead in my '91 164.
I looked thru the 164 FAQ and found what I thought would be simple
instructions to open the console and replace the bulb.  I couldn't get
anything to budge, however.  If I'm reading correctly, the padded strip
to the left of the AC console needs to be removed to allow access to a
couple of screws, then the whole face hinges open and bulbs can be
changed.  I can't move the padded strip (tried sliding it down as per
FAQ directions) -- is there a trick, or do I just need to apply more
force?  Do other pieces need to be removed first or something?  I'm
puzzled, and don't want to break anything.

Jeff Matson
'74 GTV 2000
'91 164L
Harvard, MA