Re: alfa-digest V7 #403

> Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 18:21:16 -0800
> From: ian evans <iann@domain.elided>
> Subject: Biba's advice
>
> I concur with Biba.  It is much safer and easier to install the round
> crankshaft seal over the end of the crank and into place against the
> upper part of the block  then bring the rear main cap up into place
> carefully making sure the seal is seated in place as you torque the cap
> down rather than driving the seal into place with the rear main cap
> installed.  Personally. I'd rather do it on the bench, but suppose it
> could be done while lying on your back under the car.  I would think
> about the time involved to do it over should it leak as a result of not
> being able to work with good visual or physical access.  Of course if
> you are working on a hoist versus jack stands the situation changes
> somewhat.
>
> My .02 worth
>
> Ian
>
> ------------------------------

Factory procedure is to install the rear main cap first with the "cigarette seals", and
then to install the rear main seal, once the rear main cap is torqued down. There is a
special factory tool designed to drive the seal. In general practice in the field, the
substitute is a deep socket of the appropriate diameter to drive against the steel shell
of the seal.

When replacing the clutch on any Alfa (except of course 116-119) I always replace the
rear main seal. Never had one leak using this procedure.

Joel Hailey
Centerline Products
Boulder CO
303-447-0239