leaded v unleaded in the UK

Ferdinando Di Matteo said ;

"When are all of you asking questions about leaded fuel going to smarten
up?
No engine ever needs leaded fuel anymore because octane ratings are high
enough for all but race cars.  Just forget that lead does anything for =
the
engine!  But ruin the cat con.  Fred Di matteo

My learned English colleague said ;

"Here in England we are under the impression that running older cars
designed for leaded fuel on U/L will result in valve seat recession
unless hardened inserts are fitted. All cars here built with cats have
fuel fillers too small for  a leaded fuel pump nozzle. It's the loss of
lead as a lubricant ,not as an octane booster, which is the problem."

I say ;

Could'nt agree more, in the year 2000 the UK petrol suppliers will stop
suppling leaded petrol, already people running older vehicles are asking
the question what will we do ? , as far as I'm concerned in the UK
running an older car (pre 86-87) and running on unleaded will result in
problems with valve seats, who has an answer ?

- --
Adam Coombe, IoW, UK
GTV6 83
Sud Green Cloverleaf 83