Petrol etc

Comments on a few mails...

Benzene

I have heard that this is actually worst when filling up the car, the
fumes that come out of the tank.  Or is this something else I am
thinking of?  There is (in the UK) a lower benzene unleaded
available at tesco's (a supermarket!)

Leaded

This will be unavailable in the Uk (and all Europe) from the end of
1999 (I think).  0.5% of sales will be leaded, but it is thought
classic car orgasniations will use all this up.  of course some alfas
are classics (...all Alfas are classics..?)

BTW - anyone know the RON rating for UK unleaded - my new (to
me) 155 says it needs 95 octane - i don't want to have to use the
super unleaded as this is 20% more expensive!

Boxer engines

I have always run my 2 x 33's on unleaded, the earlier (now sadly
demised) was 1987.  My earlier suds (the latest being 1983 (? - A
reg) I only ran on leaded.  The 33 admittedly expired because of a
tensioner seizing - so could be rebuilt but at 125k miles not worth it
(=A3500+) - but the garage was earlier reporting low compression on
one cylinder which looked like a valve problem.  Whether this was
fuel type related i don't know.

My earlier mail

I should have said UK petrol was the same price in litres as US is
in gallons!  i.e. about a dollar (65p) for each!!!  Stop using all the
worlds oil!!  I wonder what income tax rate the US would set if US
petrol was taxed the same as UK?!

Thats all

Andrew

Andrew Halket     mailto:arbh@domain.elided