Biba's advice

I concur with Biba.  It is much safer and easier to install the round
crankshaft seal over the end of the crank and into place against the
upper part of the block  then bring the rear main cap up into place
carefully making sure the seal is seated in place as you torque the cap
down rather than driving the seal into place with the rear main cap
installed.  Personally. I'd rather do it on the bench, but suppose it
could be done while lying on your back under the car.  I would think
about the time involved to do it over should it leak as a result of not
being able to work with good visual or physical access.  Of course if
you are working on a hoist versus jack stands the situation changes
somewhat.

My .02 worth

Ian