Unleaded/Leaded

Well, I guess I ignited this again most recently although I didn't really
want to.  Don't have naked flames around gasoline - make them wear their
clothes!

What I actually asked was probably too broad.  My fault.  :(

I know Alfas (and others) can run ULP without valve/engine problems.  Simon
Favre replied off host and rightly pointed out that catalytic converters
were designed to reduce emissions but required ULP to function as leaded
ruined the Cat hence the situation we now see all round the world.

What about the rumour that I quoted and which still concerns me that ULP
contributes nasties (benzene ?) which a Cat removes but which a leaded
vehicle WITHOUT CAT sends into the atmosphere?  Forget whether it damages
the vehicle - what does it do to the rest of us?  This was the original
rumour that was being pushed by the classic car lobby in Australia at one
time and which I have heard elsewhere but never head resolved.

One last time and then lets all drop it in favour of a drive in the
mountains - does ULP require a catalytic converter to remove hazardous
pollutants or is this another urban myth?

Now, I am pulling my flameproof sleeping bag over my head and retiring until
the ice age starts.

Regards,

John Heidemann (the John  H in Oz)
Brisbane Australia