Alfa normalities and abnormalities

 In AD7-396 John Heidemann (The one in OZ, etc) wondered "how many
abnormalities AR created by "substituting" different parts as the cars
progressed down the assembly lines.  Do you think that they were aware that
Alfisti would discuss long and hard these variations some 20 years down the
track?"

My guess is far fewer abnormalities were created by "substituting" than one
might think. After the recent discussions about the Grand Prix special edition
GTV-6 (factory? local?) I raised the question with an old-timer insider from
Alfa's USA operations, with whom I had raised related questions in the past.
The USA had many major variants which other countries didn't have, and it is
obvious that Australia and GB (and certainly other countries) had variants we
did not have.

Alfas were produced at the factory with a range of basic variables in any
given period, some dictated by national laws and some catering to differing
tastes, and local branch authorities could use their marketing wisdom to chose
among the taste-variables and add their own cosmetic enhancements at the dock,
but I believe there was nothing random about it at the factory. Once the cars
were in the hands of the local branch authorities, they could create a
"special edition" with any name they wished and attach any accessories they
wished, and they did. Badges, spoilers, louvers, imitation wood trim,
different wheels, all easy enough. But as for "substituting" different parts
as the cars progressed down the assembly lines, I doubt that it happened. We
got two-liter Alfettas in years when no other country did, glued windscreens
in years when all others were gasketed, vinyl upholstery only on cars which
had cloth or leather options in other markets, all branch-mandated factory
installed variables, but I doubt that anybody on the assembly line casually
"substituted" a two-liter engine in a car destined for a 1.8 liter market, or
leather in a car which specified vinyl on the build-sheet.

That doesn't mean there won't be some apparently odd abnormalities turning up.
I have a recall notice concerning an incorrect tire size fitted to a
particular Campagnolo alloy wheel which was fitted to exactly sixty-one 1979
Spiders, apparently as a local-market enhancement which would be rare here and
probably unknown elsewhere. The same batch of old dealer literature included a
clearance sale (in the mid-eighties) on odd sets of wheels (with tires) which
the local branch (Alfa Romeo, Inc., of New Jersey) had considered using on US
cars, presumably "special editions", and one set is chromed wires for a
Spider. Someplace there is a car sporting that set of wheels- an abnormality
indeed- but not genuine evidence of a casual approach to car-building in
Arese.

I certainly won't argue with John's main point, that there can be many
pleasant surprises in twenty-year old Alfas that you won't find in the
products of the major mass market suppliers. Very true. Enjoy yours-

John H.
Raleigh N.C.