Re: leaded fuel for fools

<< Eh? I thought the point of lead in fuel was as a lubricant,
 <<not anything to do with octane ratings...

That was my understanding also.  It served as a lubricant for the valves.
That's why most pre 70's american cars don't have hardened steel valve seats
in the engines and all mid 70's to current cars do.  Octane is needed to deal
with knocking due to timing right? Wouldn't that make lack of lead and
addition of octane fairly independent of each other?  How about Octane ratings
in the 60's.  Were there any?  I wasn't around so I can't say.
Ed Gibbs
78 Alfa Spider