164 clutch

> I have read and reread every digest I have to no avail.
> I was having the hard clutch problem.   Changed the rubber line and the
> clutch pump.
> I now have only about the bottom half inch of pedal travel.
> I have used all the techniques in the digest to bleed the system.   I
> even bought a "mightyvac" from IAP.   All to no avail.   Same amount of
> travel.
>
> Here is where I need advice from you Alfisti.
> Should  I replace the slave cylinder also?   Or am I just not getting
> all the air out(I have run a 32oz bottle of fluid through it)?

  This sounds like an issue of more diagnosis needed.
Hard pedal in a 164 is caused by several possible factors.
1) failing/aging clutch, causes stiff pedal all the time.
2) bad master/damper or slave or all, or a collapsed line.

Your slave could be hanging, master for that matter as well.
Remove and discard the damper (round gold colored disc on USA cars) if
you haven't already. It also can cause problems. Replace the clutch hose
with a new one $16 list...Install a new slave, nipple up... (around $50)
and bleed it well. It's easy to swap out and eliminates the possible
problem. That should solve your problem. If it doesn't, and you have
around 70-80K on the clutch, you probably need a new clutch kit. ($275
list)

I went through this and the replacement was laborious but
straightforward.
Pictures at http://members.tripod.com/alfabill/clutch.htm
- --

			   B i l l   H a r k e l l