Re: alfa-digest V7 #395 JH's musings on the sliding block system...

As usual, I find the eminent Mr. Hertzman to be right on track in
addressing some of the comments regarding the CRB system. We currently
run a Duetto in vintage that was never titled for the street and has
three pages of CRH stuff on it, drilled gears, mag castings and the real
McCoy sliding block set-up. We have over 125 track hours on it (with
frequent maintenance to the brass block) with no difficulty. The car is
equipped with Unibal bearings in place of the trailing arm bushings
front and rear, as well as an aluminum crossmember with two very large
rod ends to locate the upper fore-aft rear axle link. The pin that
protrudes from what used to be the filler plug is where the brass block
(secured by a washer and a circlip) rides and the complicated but
beautiful castings in aluminum bolted to the trunk floor support the
steel sleeves that the brass block rides in through it's vertical
travel. It is an elegant, certifiably "Chiti" designed system, and if
you want a good replica, I would call Roman Tucker in Lapeer, Michigan.
The cars that we are currently doing have  Panhard rods that works quite
nicely.-Peter Krause