rectangular/flat filter air boxes on 116 cars

In AD 387/390/391/392 Bill Magoffin, Robert Jones, and John Heidemann (That's
the one in Oz, Gordy) have been running an interesting seminar on the dates of
various detail changes in the four-cylinder 116 cars of the eighties- cars
which we in the USA did not get. The later phases of discussion have
concentrated on introduction of the new air filter box, "going to a
rectangular/flat filter element, (Technocar >part # A151), instead of the
"classical" tubular element".

In AD7-392 Robert Jones, responding to John H's airbox information (at least
as early as '81-'82) which differed from his own ('83-'85), wrote "Hmm... this
goes against what I was told above! Is there a record of the features of each
year anywhere? It would be a handy reference."

Yes, there is (or should be) a record of such features of each year in the
parts books. When one filter element is switched for another, the part book
will say "up to chassis number  - - -" and "from chassis number ----. (Or RHD,
or Germany-Austria-Switzerland, etc) The range of chassis numbers will be in
Fusi (up to its date of publication) or in d'Amico-Tabucchi, so one should be
able to say whether a change occurred early or late in a particular year.

Concerning the shift from the "classical" tubular element to a
rectangular/flat filter element, an October 1981 Giulietta brochure I have
shows a flat-topped airbox with four over-center toggle latches (similar to
those on my newer V6 Alfas) which may be the unit referred to. Checking a
little further I find the same airbox shown in Fusi on a Giulietta (introduced
in November 1977) while a few pages earlier the 1977 Alfetta 2000 (introduced
in February 1977) is shown with the classical tubular filter. The book was
published in '78, so there should not be a great difference in the dates of
the two photos.

The phase-in of the new airbox on different models which shared the same
platforms and engines, and were built on the same assembly lines, might not
have been synchronized, but there would be little reason to keep two sets of
parts for a single function on mechanical twins. I wouldn't be surprised if
the new system was adopted across the board around mid-1977 for 1978 model-
year cars. The definitive answer should be in the parts books, which I do not
have.

The parts books should also verify whether the much-discussed Grand Prix body
kit was a world-wide factory fitted feature, but would not include locally
produced parts for LHD/RHD conversions, which have been mentioned in some of
the split-dash discussions.

Cordially

John H.
(the one in Raleigh, N.C., U.S.A.)