Re: movie cars--questionable Alfa content

I think you can credit "Robocop" with starting this trend. It's
supposed to be an artistic statement that says if you wait long
enough, anything will come back in style. Futuristic cars like the
ones in "Blade Runner" and "The Fifth Element" are amusing, but
can look absurd when the movie gets a few years older. Remember
the spaceships in "Buck Rogers"? How about the futuristic cars in
"Sleeper"? At least Woody Allen was trying to be funny. Perhaps the
moviemakers are shrewdly using something that looks like an old car
because it will always look like an old car, instead of looking
absurd when technology takes a different direction from the one
their film predicted. This ensures many years of royalties from
cable TV. ;=)

If you believe movies like "THX 1138", we should all be driving cars
that look and perform like a Gulf-Porsche Le Mans car!!!

>Has anyone seen the movie "Gattaca"?  It is supposed to take place a
>few decades in the future, and to save money (or make it more
>interesting) the producers, instead of making up new "futuristic" cars
>used wierd old cars from the '60's.  Most prominent were a Citroen DS
>and an Avanti.  I'd have to watch it again, but I might have seen a
>Bristol, a Jensen, and an Aston-Martin.  I didn't spot any Alfas.

End of alfa-digest V7 #391