SUV

While I didn't start this thread, I guess I made some comments which fired
things up a bit.  So let me try to get back to the original proposition:

I employ a device familiar to high-level language programmers -- the "IF -
Then" construct -- when a condition applies, a consequence follows.  (Yes
- -- the activists don't always get what they want -- sometimes they take a
fall-back position where their dream would ferment too much opposition --
and sometimes politicians, unbelieveably enough (but perhaps of parallel
calculation) impose a modicum of common-sense.)

Pollution --
<IF> the restrictions on passenger cars are sound and required, because
such vehicles are (were) the overwhelming majority of vehicles in
high-density traffic, thus non-attainment areas, <THEN> it only makes
sense that vehicles not meeting passenger-car emission standards should be
banned from high-density (rush-hour) traffic.  If light trucks are used
primarily in the wilds of Wyoming, the pollution impact is trivial, and
the exemption of light trucks is logical.

"Safety" --

(Here I want to distinguish "safety" measures directed inward from safety
measures directed at other motorists, although activists do not much
observe such distinctions, and lobby politicians not to either.)

<IF> bumper-height requirements make a contribution to "safety" in
high-density traffic (or lighting or bumper collsion resilience, or
what-have-you), and are required of passenger-cars, <THEN> vehicles not
meeting these standards should be banned from high-density (rush-hour)
traffic.  It is asinine to make a extremely small volume manufacturer
(Alfa) jump thorugh hoops over such requirements, while allowing millions
of non-conforming vehicles on packed roads under such conditions.  Again,
for the farmer in the wilds of Wyoming, mixing-it-up with tractors, stock
trucks. combines and such un-wieldy agricultural equipment, the
probability of collision with passenger vehicles is minimal -- differing
standards may actually make sense.

People can keep and own SUV's and light trucks -- just keep them out of
high-density traffic, where they threaten maximum damage to "the
environment" and other vehicles.

r.m.bies