re: Dead 164 (battery problems)

Before christmas I posted a question about our 164 which would
flatten its battery over 2 days of no driving.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions! They were much
appreciated.

One comment was that there might be a small continual power drain and
that this might be traced by pulling fuses one by one while checking
drain at the battery with a multimeter. Well, we did this and found
two suspect circuits. With both of these fuses removed we left the
164 sitting for more than a week... and it started perfectly! This
would never have been possible before.

So, now all I need to know is which particular device(s) in these
circuits is causing the drain. If I can't find it in the car disk I
may be back with this question...

Oddly though, with both the questionable circuits active, the power
drain does not double. With either one individually and also with
both, the drain is (from memory) 30mA. The fuses are for "control
units" (fuse #1) and for "dome lights" (fuse #5) and are in the batch
of 6 fuses which reside above the rest of the fuses.

Thanks,
Jeff Hanbury
Brisbane, Australia