V6 engine stand

Hi:
Has anyone had experience with engine stands?  I bought a generic engine
stand which allows the engine to be suspended (and rotated :) by connecting
the stand to the bell-housing mounting points on the back of the engine
block.  The problem is that the engine stand is probably designed for (iron
block) American V8 engines, not the fragile Alfa aluminium block.  This
makes me wonder if these 4 (10mm) bolts are strong enough to hold the
entire weight of the V6 engine (the heads are not on at the moment which
does make it a bit lighter).  There are 4 attachment points that the stand
provides.
I looked in the Alfa manual and noted that they use an engine stand that
attaches to the side of the block (near the engine mount...)
Thanks for any advice!
Cheers
Mike