efficiency vs. consumerism (Alfas vs. SUVs)

RG says:

>So, what I'm hearing is that if you don't have a practical purpose for
>owning an SUV, you shouldn't have one, even though you may actually like
>their styling!  Give me a break.

styling? i thought most people bought them because they liked to sit up high
and mow down whatever was in their path. Or is styling defined as "driver
looking rugged and outdoursy"? Is it all brand, image and marketing these
days????!!!!
 It is a matter of efficiency vs. excessive consumption. We drive Alfas
before they are efficient. They accomplish the mission of fast
transportation with minimum resources, mass and waste. SUVs are just
symbols. They take ancient truck technology (leaf springs on your Exploder),
kill a couple of cows for the back seat, tack on a 12K profit (Ford does it
for the Expedition), and off you go. Nobody needs 4WD to go to Costco, and i
always see these vihicles with one person on the highway. And overall, they
do pollute 40 percent more than cars (stats from the 98 fleet) . Sure, I do
not want to legislate them out. I will just be forced to buy a cement truck
if i want to survive. Let everyone walk around with grenade launchers, too.
Alfas, too, are used to project a personality for people who do not have
one. SUVs just take this to the extreme. Screw everyone else on the road,
screw the environment, screw slave labor making the parts for these in Asia,
screw the roads, screw the people in a side impact with  your bumper at
their head level. You need the SUV. Everyone knows people died and never
went out of their homes before they became popular.....And they get special
exemptions for lacking a social consoiusness...

This is the last time, who hid my special jacket?

luke
Palo Alto, CA

74 Spider, 82 GTV6, 95 164LS, secret car