164 Sticking Brakes, Hard Pedal FIXED (was DOT4)

>I started the trouble. It was in reference to 164 masters failing after
>about 2 years POSSIBLY, not proven, from DOT4, by  good sources in
>various official spots.
>The issue is not proven, and in ARDONA's defence, it's an idea.

I have just replaced the brake fluid in my 164 with DOT 3 in order to cure
the sticking brakes / hard pedal problem. My car was particularly badly
affected, and would exhibit this behaviour queuing traffic even in cold(ish)
weather conditions.

So far the problem has been cured. Leaving the car running while stationary
used to be enough to start the problem (getting the engine bay temperature
up), but this has not caused it. I got stuck in a big traffic jam yesterday,
circumstances which would have previously caused the brakes to start
sticking, with no problems.

I was not convinced by the argument for going to DOT3, but it has fixed my
problem, so can't complain! I can't declare that DOT4 causes the problem as
the fluid that was in my car was in when I bought it (6 months ago), so is
of unknown quality or type. There was no air in the system when I bled it,
but the fluid was darker than the new, and so was probably fairly old.

My advice therefore is to other 164 owners having similar problems, is to
put DOT3 in and try it.

Happy Motoring
Richard McLachlan - UK
1989, 164 3.0, 110,000 miles - CURRENTLY FOR SALE - Email me directly for
details