Re: Timing - valve & ignition

True confessions. Seems as though I took apart this ultra-modern Alfa
engine and have a few questions regarding reassembly. It's an '80 Spider
engine.

Valve timing: How do you adjust the sprocket so the inlet cam lines up
with the required mark on a variable time cam?

Ignition timing: First ,true confessions: I'm rather used to doing an
eyeball static timing on ordinary distributors (those nice, fuzzy ones
with points) when reassembling an engine. I either make sure the oil
pump lines up correctly with the distributor so that the points are
about to open just prior to #1 firing - or - put the oil pump in
wherever, then rearrange the ignition wires on the distributor cap to
line up correctly. Then after the engine is installed and prior to
starting, line up pointer on water pump [after first making sure the
pointer is in the right place using a spark plug adapter and dial
indicator (hey, I'm not entirely retro)], then turn on ignition and move
distributor until it sparks at #1. And of course run around and turn off
the ignition before points fry. Okay not too sophisticated, but it's
always worked.

I'm totally stuck on lining up the oil pump and distributor correctly on
this modern system (how do you possibly eye-ball it?), and then will my
old, tried-and-true system work once all is installed?

Helllllp!

Biba (eating humble pie as I anxiously await your learned suggestions)
Irwindale CA