1984 Spider VVT device

According to the 'Spider 2.0 enigine overhaul manual', from 1982-1983 a variable valve timing device was fitted.
I have a 1984 2.0 spider (ex USA, with Bosch L-jetronic), but this device is not fitted to my engine.

Was this device not fitted to all 2.0 spiders? Or is the engine in my spider maybe older than 1984?
1984 2.0 Spider owners, please inform wether you have the VVT fitted or not.

Peter Luxwolda
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

1984 Spider
1992 164TS