storia inezione

Based on a quick scan of the D'Amico & Tabucchi book, I wrote earlier that
no European-market, 4 cylinder, production Alfa had electronic fuel
injection until it appeared in the 75 in 1986.

I was off by a couple of years.  John Hertzman wrote back citing an
exception he found in a Dutch brochure, which described electronic fuel
injection as an option on the 1984 Alfa 90.  I subsequently found a
descritpion of this injected Alfa 90 buried on another page of D'A&T, which
I hadn't seen previously.  Yet another exception appears a few pages
earlier.  While the the 1982 Alfetta Quadrifoglio Oro had SPICA injection,
the 1983 version instead had Bosch electronic injection.

John was also skeptical of the possibility that GTA Junior race cars had
been procued with SPICA, as well as Lucan injection.  Adrianssens'
exhastively researched book, "Alleggerita" very clearly shows racing 1300
Juniors configured with SPICA  injection in various combinations with
single- and double-plug heads with 2 or 4 valves per cylinder.

For what it's worth, the book also shows a number of other interesting
SPICA-injected variants, including a 1600 cc, 16 valve engine developed for
F2, a 1900 cc 16V version that was used in F3, and a variaty
high-performance boat engines.  Logical or not, this seems to have been the
way they did it.

Dana Loomis