Kenlowe Hot Start preheater

John Hertzman mentioned the Kenlowe Hot Start preheater, which he stated has a
load of 3.0 KW.  This would be 25 amps at 120 volt operation.

In the USA this would require a 30 amp circuit breaker, #10 AWG wiring for the
branch circuit, 30 amp, 120 volt, 2 pole, 3 wire grounding receptacle and a made
to order 30 amp extension cord.  At 240 volt operation, it would require a 20
amp 2 pole circuit breaker, 20 amp, 240 volt, 2 pole, 3 wire grounding
receptacle and a made to order extension cord.  All special wiring for your
block heater, which could then be plugged in only at your house.

In designing electrical systems for building construction, I use a load of 750
watts per block heater (nameplate rating).  This allows 2 block heaters per 120
volt circuit.  This will use a 20 amp 1 pole circuit breaker, #12 AWG wiring for
the branch circuit, (two) standard 20 amp, 120 volt, 2 pole, 3 wire GFCI type
grounding receptacles and a common heavy duty extension cord.  For home use any
15 amp circuit will work as long as too many other items on the same circuit are
not in use at the same time.

Use a standard USA block heater and it can be plugged into any standard 120 volt
receptacle or block heater power pole, whether it is at your house, at an
apartment, at work, at a friends house, or elsewhere.  Allow 1 hour at 0F, 2
hours at 10F below 0, 3 hours at 20f or more below 0.  I leave mine plugged in
all night if it will be below 0.  Some people think the coolant will break down
from electrolysis.  I don't know if it will or not.  Be sure to change it at no
less than 2 year intervals regardless.

Loyd Heimbruch
Barnum, MN
Stella del Nord Chapter (Minnesota), AROC
70 MPH daily over snow covered roads :-)
86 Olds Cutlass Ciera (daily driver, with block heater)
91 Plymouth Grand Voyager AWD ($4500.00 damage from hitting a deer)
78 Niki Spider (in hibernation, no block heater required)