RE: Reluctant Cold Starters

RM Bies wrote:

>When these Bosch provided systems fail to catch on the first try, yes, i=
>is a problem.  The thermo-time switch cuts-out only after <twenty five>
>seconds (cold) -- exactly what the re-set time is is not clear.  So when=

>you try again to start after and abortive effort, the cold-start valve
>will be pouring raw gas atop raw gas already injected, and you are on yo=
ur
>way to a flooding which will be a real problem.

>What I find <seems> to work is to throw the pedal totally to the floor
>on subsequent tries (what actually happens in the world according to the=

>Duetsch geniuses I have no idea)(clearly, this approach <does> alleviate=

>flooding in a less "intelligent" system), and grind away until it does
>fire.  (It is difficult, but a great deal <less> perilous to start the
>Giulietta Veloce in cold weather, with essentially half-race cams and no=

>choke or other enriching device.  Progress....)

>These cars seem to fire initially on the injection from the cold-start
>valve alone.

>r.m.bies

Thanks for the feedback; I guess Bosch didn't make these systems as
"floodproof" as I thought.  Have you personally measured 25 seconds (valv=
removed and visually observing how long it sprays)? I'm curious because
Probst states that even at coldest temperatures, cold-start valve will
operate for less than 10 seconds, although I guess that even that could b=
too long in some situations. Just trying to learn as much about these
systems as I can.  BTW, my reluctant starter has a leaky cold-start valve=
,
which I  will replace tomorrow (hope that's root cause).  =

Best Regards,
Paul Bowman
'88 Milano Verde
'86 Spider Veloce