Milano V6

A couple of weeks ago I submitted information about my engine, about how I
couldn't get the thing over 5000 rpm and I got a lot of responses telling me
to check the cam and ignition timing.  After checking everything out, we
figured out that everything was fine so we checked the tachometer and that's
where the problem was.  We did this based on the speeds I was seeing at given
rpms in each gear and comparing it to a good source.  For example, in 5th, my
car sees 90 mph at 3000 rpm, which as I understand, should equate to
approximately 63 mph (2.5 engine).  Depending on speed, it shows 700 to 1100
rpm less than what the engine is turning.  So all this time I've been able to
hit redline but not knowing it.  The limiter is coming in around an indicated
5400 rpm.

Is this a common problem and if so, is it the tach itself that needs to be
calibrated or is it an electronic issue of not picking up the correct signal
from the distributor?  Thanks.