164L AT Gear Selector Endfloat Adjustment

Hello Alfa Fans,

I own a 91 164L with AT.  A while back, I asked for information which
would help me solve a strange downshifting malfunction of my automatic
transmission.  Many of you suggested to change the fluid and
filter a couple of  times and to adjust the kickdown cable.  But that didn't help.

I know more about the malfunction now than I did last time.  These
are the symptoms:

1. Manual 1st gear doesn't work properly.  If I select 1st gear manually,
it doesn't stay in 1st gear.  It shifts into 2nd gear and stays
there, as I accelerate.  Also, no 1st gear braking action if I manually
downshift into 1st.  The car manual suggest to adjust the gear
selector cable endfloat, but provides no procedure to do that.  Does
anyone know how that's done?

2. The transmission shifts up and down automatically from 1st to 3rd.
However, if I accelerate enough to make it shift into 4th, then as I slow down,
it downshift ok into 3rd, but it gets stuck in that gear (without
automatically downshifting into 2nd and 1st).  I normally manually
shift to neutral to disengange, and then back into Drive.

I'm trying to explore all the possible fixes that can cure the
problem without taking the transmission apart.  Any help is
appreciated.

Antonio