Increased fuel consumption in 164S

MPG in my 92 164S declined by 25% after having the valves adjusted and 1
cam replaced.  I was getting about 22/23 MPG or about 360/380 miles per
tank.  I now get 17/18 or around 260 per tank.  I thought it was just
coincidental with the work as there were other maintenance issues to
address.  The O2 sensor had failed, the plugs had fouled somewhat, and the
dist. cap and rotor were not optimal.  All these have been done so I am
back to the work on the valves and cams.  Any ideas here?  Could the cam
timing be off by a single cog?  Could the valves just be too loose?  The
mechanic in this shop believes they need to be on the loose side in the
car.

I'm thinking about stripping it down to check it out as I've lost faith
with this shop.  My problem is that this is my only transportation and I
can't do any work myself that might span a day.  Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Rob