Starting problems related to incline

>>Just out of curiosity, is your lawn ornament parked on the flat,
>>pointed uphill, or pointed downhill?

>>I have a similar lawn ornament -- Audi Quattro, not a Milano &:-) --
>>which will not start only if parked pointed uphill. We're thinking it is
>>the fuel pump check valve.

>>I thought it was a funny coincidence!

Actually it might not be a coincidence. And it might not be fuel related.
About a year ago, my wife and I took a 10 day trip out east in our '95 VW
Eurovan Camper.  About halfway through the trip the vehicle became very
difficult to start.  After a few days, we started to realize that if the
car was pointed uphill, it started like new.  On level ground, it was
difficult, and pointed downhill was a lost cause. I even had to do a few
rolling push starts when pointed downhill.  When push starting, the engine
fired and ran perfectly immediately after popping the clutch (usually after
minutes of cranking).

What had happened was that the ignition switch had developed an internal
loose connection or something in the start position.  Everything was fine
in the "on" position which explains why the car started fine in push start
mode.  Apparently, incline / gravity really affected the condition of my
switch in the start mode. Even on the slightest downhill grade, the
ignition and or fuel system was not energized while the starter turned.

This problem was maddening.  I thought it might have been oil pressure,
fuel pressure, who knows what.  I took it to my dealer (still under
warranty at that time) and a new ignition swiotch fixed the problem.

Since we're talking about ignition switches, has anyone with a GTV6 or
Milano ever experienced this problem....  With my lights on, I can turn the
ignition switch off and remove the key and the car keeps running perfectly
fine.  From this point if I turn off my lights the car stops running
immediately.  If my lights are off, the ignition switch works as intended.
While this is a great feature that doesn't allow you to leave your lights
on, I'm afraid, there is some seriously crossed wiring somewhere.  There is
no evidence of add on or altered wiring.  Any tips ???

Thanks !!!

Steve Hoffins

'91 Spider Veloce
'83 GTV6