116 shift linkage problem

Coming home from work last night I got off the freeway and when I pulled
away from the light the car was in 3rd instead of 1st. So I put it in 1st
but it was still in 3rd. The shifter flops freely from left to right weather
it's in gear or not and I can only catch 3rd and 4th - didn't try 5th or
reverse.

Anybody know what happened? Obviously something in my shift linkage has come
apart but I haven't had a chance to look underneath it yet. It actually
snowed here today! - not normal.

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project