Alfa 75 badging,GTV6 wiring questions-LONG

Greetings Alfisti!
     First, for the gentleman going to Orlando in January wanting to swap a
set of "75"badging for a set of Milano badging.I will happily swap the badges
off my car right now and send them to you.Please email me off post;I'll
happily pay postage.Do you think you could come up with 2 sets of badging;I
have a friend who would love to have a set as well.Will happily pay for this
set.
       Spent an interesting weekend getting to know Vito,my '84 GTV6.As
mentioned in my last post, I was going to work on the wiring harnesses in the
engine compartment ,the large one on the firewall and the harness on the
washer bottle side of the car (right looking in from the front of the car).The
red cable in each harness had its insulation burned off,melting insulation off
the wires around it in spots where the red cable touched the other wires as
well.Interestingly enough,the copper wiring itself was not damaged,all were
pliable,not broken and looked good (except for insulation being melted off in
spots from the red cable).The red cable appeared to have some oxidation on it,
leads me to think that this may have happened sometime ago. The burned wiring
stopped at the firewall, I spent an hour or two tracing the wires from this
harness into the interior,checking each for good connections and for
burning.None were burned inside the car,all of the fuses were okay as well.I
went ahead and seperated the wires using a razor blade and re-wrapped them
(Took all day Sat.and Sun.to do one harness). The next harness will be done
next weekend,it isn't as badly melted as the one done this weekend.
        The wiring going to the ignition switch and to the starter isn't
burned or melted.These wires run off the firewall harness.The red wire going
to the alternator has insulation melted off it, this wire is contained in the
bundle along the washer bottle side.My thinking is a possible bad
alternator/voltage regualtor (alt. looks to have been  replaced by the
previous owner;it looks new and I'm thinking (hoping) it was done after the
wiring burned. Don't these alternators have an internal voltage regulator?
       Has anyone ever seen this type of problem?It seems very odd;if it were
current doing the melting the wires inside the car should be melted as
well.They aren't.I have no intentions of putting battery power to this car
until the next harness is reworked;could someone give me some advice on how
this might have happened, and things I should look for before putting the
juice to this car?I had some instruments,warning lights and the radio that
weren't working before this happened;the firewall harness rework should take
care of these.
Any advice or ideas would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Terry and Sharon Akins
Alexandria,VA
1987 Milano gold (alfie, wanting "75" badging for christmas)
1984 GTV6 (Vito,wanting to be running for christmas)