RE: "Salvage" titles

> Several of the cars we have bought for our kids -- Honda, Toyota, Nissan,
> VW Golf --
> had salvage titles. Two of them ran for huge numbers of miles, in spite of
> the usual "zero maintenance" program followed by many young
> people who have
> grown up in the era of disposable cars. The Toyota developed a noisy rear
> axle at about the one-billion-mile mark. The VW is fairly recent, but is
> running fine after a few routine-maintenance items were attended. In every
> case, the salvage title saved us a lot of money.
>
> Of course, there is a risk in buying salvage cars, but usually the reason
> for the salvage title is physical damage to the body. This is often easier
> to inspect than the insides of the mechanical components.

funny, but while i was in the uk this week they ran something on one of the
channels covering exacly this issue.  the problem they were looking at were
cases in which two damaged cars might each be chopped in half and made into
one.  difficult to detect (if done professionally), and they ran perfectly
acceptable, the danger is that the crumple zones had been compromised and
the cars were useless in an accident.

something to be aware of.

bs